W.O.W – Workout of the Week
We are rebuilding our base for our ‘end of season’ championship races later this fall, so this week’s workout is a great base builder for swimming. With this workout you do multiple sets consisting of descending distances and building paces. For this workout you need to know your goal race pace per 100 as that is what you are building towards by the end of each round. For the example below, the swimmer’s goal race pace is 1:30 per 100. Add more rounds as you build your endurance and according to the distance of race you are training for. You can also add a strength component by alternating rounds with normal freestyle and pulling. The rest intervals are kept short in order to maximize aerobic conditioning. Have at it!
- Warm-up swim of choice (400-1200 yards total).
- Main Set, as multiple (2-5) rounds :
- 300 in 5:00 on 5:20
- 200 in 3:10 on 3:30
- 100 GOAL! (1:30 for this example)
- 30 seconds rest before start of next round
- repeat 1-4 more times through.
- Warm-down of choice (100-500 yards total).